Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Week 2 EOC: Boston Consulting Group - Video Games


“More than 200 million Wii, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 systems were sold worldwide…and yet the gaming world has found itself teetering at the edge of a financial cliff.”(Totilo)
“teenagers who are experiencing problems may retreat into gaming, and that the gaming may, in turn, increase their depression and isolation”(Rabin)
“Where do you game? Are you playing your Xbox 360, Wii or PS3 less now that you have an iPhone, iPad or Android?”(Smith)
My Game Apps
Video games have always been something I stayed away from. Looking back at my child hood I remember being “depressed” and socially awkward when I left the controller (Rabin). And that was just the Play Station, if I had the Play Station 3 maybe things would have been different since there’s a lot more interactivity with other gamers. Even though I see and hear about gamers, the gaming “sales have dropped” (Totilo). Makes me wonder where game consoles are placed on the BCG (Boston Consultant Group)?
Play Station I would rank as a Star. Eventually it will be a dog but I believe it will be a Star for a long time. Its competitor the Xbox 360 is at a Dog level. I haven’t seen much activity from them after the Kinect. Wii is a dog, its going nowhere which is why Nintendo is coming out with something new. Apps on iphones and ipads are Stars and its competitors like Kindle are the question marks. Kindle just doesn’t have the audience to support it on a game apps level.  
I personally like my game apps on my phone. It is interesting how games try to get you to download other games with add but we all hate adds so we tend to ignore. Apps are the reason game consoles are dropping in sales. Who wouldn’t want something entertaining on the go where ever they go as long as they have good reception.
 Works Cited
Rabin, Ronni C. "Video Games and the Depressed Teenager." Well. The New York Times, 18 Jan. 2011. Web. 10 Oct. 2012. <http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/01/18/video-games-and-the-depressed-teenager/>.
Smith, Josh. "IPhone Games Are Taking Over Our Bedrooms." IPhone Games Are Taking Over Our Bedrooms. N.p., n.d. Web. 10 Oct. 2012. <http://www.gottabemobile.com/2012/03/22/iphone-games-are-taking-over-our-bedrooms/>.
Totilo, Chris Suellentrop And Stephen. "VIDEO GAMES; Video Game Retail Sales Decline Despite New Hits." The New York Times. The New York Times, 07 Oct. 2012. Web. 10 Oct. 2012. <http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/07/arts/video-games/video-game-retail-sales-decline-despite-new-hits.html?pagewanted=all>.

No comments:

Post a Comment