Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Week 7: The Pitch


Cuba is my country of choice and my secret ingredient sofrito banana chips. Sofrito is a salty ingredient in Cuba and the saltyness makes the banana irresistible.  At the time I was captive and held as a prisoner. The guards that worked for Fidel Castro used to throw bananas at me and insulted me by calling me a monkey. After a couple of weeks of being held captive I started to eat the bananas.I had to find new ways to eat them so that they wouldn't taste like bananas. I began by mushing them up. Still tasted like bananas. I also tried adding insects but that just made me sick. I then sliced them and let them sit in the sun. I noticed that they backed to a crisp. I took a bite out of one and it wasn't bad but it still tasted like a banana. One of the guards walked by and this guy was one of the kinder guards. You could tell he felt some sort of pity for me because every day he would walk by after all the other soldiers were done scolding me just to say "gooday". He was on his way to see Fidel Castro to see what was going on. Before he went up though he stopped because he noticed I was doing something out of the ordinary, I was eating something that didn’t look like a banana. He asked what it was and I told him it was a banana chip but that it was not ready yet. He heard a commotion coming from upstairs and on his way up he dropped a sofrito container. I reached for it through the bars and sprinkled it on my chip. It changed the flavor, I was in love with bananas again! Minutes after my moment of satisfaction an explosion knocked me over. I looked up to see that there was now a whole in the wall where I had the rest of my banana chips. My heart sank, I wanted to eat the rest of them. Not noticing what was going on I heard a voice. “Captain, we here to rescue you!”  I snapped back to reality and reached for the solder wearing an American uniform. I said “thank you, I was going bananas!”

No comments:

Post a Comment